Taking it Easy.

On Saturday, September 11, we decided to take it easy after I got my work done in the morning. Bryan had one of his Reality Shoots all day long with Real Soccer Team’s goalie, Nick Rimando, and his family. First I took the boys to Discovery Park in Pleasant Grove. I hadn’t been there for a long time, probably even before Ethan was born. It seems way cooler than I remember it, so maybe they’ve added to it. There are so many things to do there, it’s really fun for kids. 
                           
Little Mozarts playing a huge xylophone
Earthquake effect board

After running around the park, Austin was worn out and fell asleep on the way home. When he got up from his nap, we decided to go feed the ducks, but first we stopped by the old house I lived in with my friend Kim, her sister, and three of her cousins, while we were going to BYU. This house was nicknamed the Lookout House -- I am guessing because of all the windows on each side of the home. I was living at the Lookout House when 9/11 happened. I had just gotten out of the shower and all my roommates were gathered around the t.v. It seemed really odd to me at first, because it looked like they were watching some crazy movie about something you would never imagine really happening, and it was early in the morning. When I found out it was the news and it was really happening, I can’t explain the sick feeling I had, but I probably don’t need to because we all experienced it. I wasn’t sure if I should go to class or what. Being a studious person I went to class just in case, and I believe my first class was cancelled. My next class wasn’t, but we had a moment of silence in our classroom that was pretty emotional. I can’t believe it’s already been nine years.

After a quick drive by picture of the Lookout House, we fed ducks by the pond on 8th North and then we drove through a neighborhood by BYU where every single home had a flag in the yard, (and I may or may not have driven by the home of NieNie, from NieNie’s Dialogue). I’m not a stalker, just wanted to see if her home was where I thought it was. :) Then I got the boys ice cream with M&M’s at the BYU Creamery.








It was a nice day. I am thankful for life and for my boys. Now for some personal thoughts and feelings. Stop now if you don’t want to hear them. :) Sometimes when we read blogs, it’s easy to think that someone’s life is perfect. It’s easy to think that way because most of us don’t blog about negative things. I personally choose to blog about the good things because I feel there is enough negative in the world, and if we want to be more positive we should focus on the positive. (Although, I can’t say ‘never’, because I’m sure once in a while I will probably have one of those posts.) So although life is hard and there’s plenty to complain about, there’s also plenty of things to be thankful for, and I hope those things are expressed in my blog.

Today for church we had Regional Conference. Julie Beck was one of the speakers -- I love her. She speaks so well and just listening to her makes you want to be a better person. I will end this long entry with the theme of her talk. It was this: “You are doing better than you think you are doing, but you can do better than what you are doing.” I love this. I tend to get down on myself for not being the best parent and for all of my weaknesses, which makes me feel worse. Sister Beck knows just how to say things to encourage us to do better. I love listening to her speak and often listen to her talks from conference on my iPhone while I’m on the treadmill. It always makes the day go better and re-energizes me. Click here to read a great talk by her given in April.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

"Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things." ~Pierce Harris
 
Copyright 2009 The Niven Clan All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress Theme by EZwpthemes